Best Stocks for Intraday Trading now in India 2022

Last Updated – Sept 2022

Best Intraday Trading Stocks In India

In the below article we will cover,

1. What is Intraday Trading
2. Factors to consider while determining the best stocks for intraday trading
3. List of the best stocks for intraday trading
4. Methods to select the best stocks for intraday trading
5. A model portfolio condensed to 10 best stocks for intraday trading
6. Technical and Fundamental analysis of the top intraday stocks

What is Intraday trading?

Intraday trading means a trader is buying and selling shares or other trading instruments on the same day to benefit from the stock price movement during the day.

In short, a trader closes his open trades before the closing of the trading session. He does not carry any overnight risk that can affect his profits.

There has been a sharp surge in intraday trading volumes in recent years due to rising number of demat accounts. The trading costs have reduced drastically as discount brokers charge only nominal fee compared to traditional brokers.

Intraday trading got a booster during the Covid-19 lockdowns as well. People who were restricted to their homes picked up day trading as a source for generating income.

Intraday trading is possible in any segment whether it is cash, futures and options (F&O), commodity or currency derivatives. One can also take leveraged positions in stocks that are not available in F&O segment.

Even though intraday trading eliminates overnight risk, there are other risks such as sudden news during trading hours, illiquidity in the instrument, and fluctuating volatility of the instruments. Other factors such as trading plan, money management, and risk management also affect a traders’ profitability in the long term.

Trading is a stream where profits and losses affect human psychology. A trader’s decision-making ability is highly impacted by his state of mind. High optimism or overconfidence due to large profits or long winning streaks can lead to taking oversized positions. He might take big risk or hold losing positions for a longer time in the hope of breaking even.

Similarly, recent losses or streak of losses can lead to taking undersized positions despite the right trading setup. He might even  cut profit-making positions early. Hence, it is very important to trade based on a trading plan and not trade based on emotional bias and gut feelings.

Factors to Consider While Picking Best Stocks for Intraday Trading

There are various things to keep in mind while determining the best stocks for intraday trading.

Trader’s criteria

Traders must first decide the  risk they are willing to take per trade. They should also limit the maximum number of open positions. Managing multiple trades can become quite complex as long and short trades would be open in different stocks.

Corporate event 

If trades have been taken on some technical setup, it is prudent to check if there is any corporate event scheduled on the same stock. This checkup should be done on a routine basis. Such events bring both challenges and opportunities with them. Irrespective of the  outcome, it is good to remain informed of any scheduled events.

Samco’s Stocknote app helps you track corporate events and news flow in your stocks easily.
Download it right now.

Volatility and Liquidity

Volatility and liquidity are also very critical for intraday trading. High volatility means large price movements during the day that translates to more trading opportunities. Low volatility means fewer trading opportunities. The volatility should not come at the cost of liquidity as liquidity is crucial for entry and exits during the day.

Traders should avoid highly volatile and thinly traded stocks. There are times when traders are stuck on one side of the trade. They cannot exit due to illiquidity or circuit limits.

Sometimes the spread between the bid and ask prices is also wide enough which affects trading costs. This occasionally happens in thinly traded penny stocks as well as thinly traded index and stock options.

Volatility is attributed to the behavior of stocks. The pattern of volatility should not be seen in the context of a particular day or week, rather stocks that have a history of volatile trading and are highly traded should be selected as trading candidates. One such list of stocks is mentioned below.

The list has been prepared by extensively analysing the volatility and liquidity of top intraday stocks on NSE and BSE given the recent history. However, volatility is varying in nature thus the stocks should not be considered as the ultimate list as their volatilities and liquidity can keep changing over a period of time.

You can watch this insightful video on how to pick stocks for intraday trading especially in the futures and options (F&O) segment.

List of Best Intraday Stocks to Buy now in India

Sr. No Company Name CMP – Sept 2022 BSE Scrip Code NSE Symbol Rating
1 TATA MOTORS 427.55 500570 TATAMOTORS 0.5
2 BAJAJ FINANCE 7,473.00 500034 BAJFINANCE 5
3 JINDAL STEEL & POWER 436.05 532286 JINDALSTEL 0.5
4 INDUSIND BANK 1,231.85 532187 INDUSINDBK 4
5 Vodafone Idea 9.2 532822 IDEA 0.5
6 AXIS BANK 796 532215 AXISBANK 3
7 STATE BANK OF INDIA 568.35 500112 SBIN 0.5
8 INDIABULLS HOUSING FINANCE 126.8 535789 IBULHSGFIN 4
9 ZEE ENTERTAINMENT 267.3 505537 ZEEL 0.5
10 TATA STEEL 106 500470 TATASTEEL 0.5
11 ICICI BANK 898 532174 ICICIBANK 4
12 BHARTI AIRTEL 784.9 532454 BHARTIARTL 0.5
13 BANDHAN BANK 290.55 541153 BANDHANBNK 4.5
14 RBL BANK 125.5 540065 RBLBANK 2
15 SHRIRAM TRANSPORT FINANCE CO 1,287 511218 SRTRANSFIN 5

Methods to select stocks for intraday trading

Volatility and liquidity should be primarily at the top of a trader’s mind while selecting stocks for intraday trading. However, other factors like market cycles, stocks in the news, and stocks with technical trade setups can be included in the list and actively tracked especially when they are trading at day’s high or day’s low.

One can use indicators like ATR, standard deviations to prepare a list of best stocks for intraday trading. One can use it over a period of time say in the last 50 or 100 days. Whereas for liquidity; average turnover of the last 100 days can be used to determine top liquid stocks. Stocks that appear at the top of both liquidity and volatility lists should then be selected for the trading universe.

Nifty and Bank Nifty indices are the highest traded instruments for intraday trading as institutions and public track these indices. One important thing to notice in the above-given list is that we have excluded top market cap stocks like Reliance, HDFC, HDFC Bank, ITC, Infosys, and TCS. These stocks are highly liquid but they are not highly volatile due to their size and stability in their business. One more thing to notice in the above list, many stocks are from the banking and NBFC sector which are highly volatile sectors and are largely traded.

Brief details about each company from the watchlist table will give you an idea of what kind of stocks should be selected for intraday trading.

Axis Bank

Axis Bank is the third-largest private-sector Indian bank and offers a range of financial products. The bank has its head office in Mumbai. It has 4580+ branches, a wide network of ATMs, and 10+ international offices. It sells financial services to large and mid-size companies, SME, and retail businesses. It has a market capitalization of Rs 222,931 Crore . As of Dec 2021 9.71% shares are owned by promoters and promoter groups. The remaining 90.29% of total shares are owned by mutual funds, FIIs, banks, insurance companies, corporate bodies, and individual investors among others. The average trading range for the stock ranges from 2 to 4 percent with a daily turnover of more than 930+ Cr. The stock has an average daily trading volume of 235+ lac shares 1.19 crore shares.

Bajaj Finance

Bajaj Finance Limited is one of the largest players in the burgeoning consumer finance segment in India and a pioneer in introducing interest-free EMI finance options in more than 50 categories, ranging from consumer durables to lifestyle products to groceries. Apart from consumer finance, the company also has substantial business penetration in SME, commercial, and rural lending. The company has a market capitalization of Rs. 414,521 Crore. Promoter group holds around 56.03% of the total shares while 43.97 % are held by mutual funds, other institutions, and the public. The average daily range for the stock remains around 1.75% to 4% with an average daily turnover of more than 1042 Cr. Stock has an average daily trading volume of13+ lacs.

Bandhan Bank

Bandhan Bank Ltd. is an Indian banking and financial services company headquartered in Kolkata, West Bengal. The bank’s total banking outlets as on March 2022 stood at  5,633. The network consists of 1,176 branches and 3,014 Doorstep Service Centers (DSCs). Total number of ATMs stood at 489.

Bandhan Bank has a significant presence in under-penetrated East and North East India. Bank has a market cap of Rs. 47500+ Cr. Promoter group holds around 40% of total shares while 60% are held by FII, mutual funds, and public and other institutions. The stock has an average trading range from 2.8% to 4.5% and an average daily turnover of more than 260+ Cr. Stock has an average daily trading volume of 86+ lacs.

Bharti Airtel

Bharti Airtel Limited, also known as Airtel, is an Indian global telecommunications services company based in New Delhi. It operates in 18 countries across South Asia and Africa. Airtel provides GSM, 3G, 4G LTE, 4G+ mobile services, fixed-line broadband, and voice services depending upon the country of operation. Airtel had also rolled out its VoLTE technology across all Indian telecom circles.

It is the second-largest mobile network operator in India and the third largest mobile network operator in the world with over 347 million active subscribers . The company has a market cap of Rs 403,463 Cr. The promoter group holds 55.93 % of total shares and the remaining 44.07% of the total is held by FII, mutual funds, public, and others. The stock has an average daily range of 2.30% to 3.50% and an average daily turnover of more than 524+ crores. Stock has an average daily trading volume of 85+ lac shares.

Indiabulls Housing Finance

Indiabulls Housing Finance Limited is a mortgage lender headquartered in New Delhi. It is India’s second-largest housing finance company and is regulated by the National Housing Bank. It is part of the Indiabulls group and contributes approximately 80% of the group’s turnover.

The company has a market cap of Rs. 7,300+ Cr . Promoter group holds 9.72 % stake in the company and the rest 90.28% is held by FII, insurance companies, institutions, and the public. The stock has an average trading range from 4% to 6% and an average daily turnover of more than 250+ crore. Stock has an average daily trading volume of 1.90 crore shares.

IndusInd Bank

IndusInd Bank Limited is an Indian new generation bank in Pune, established in 1994. The bank offers commercial, transactional, and electronic banking products and services. As of March 2022, IndusInd Bank had nearly 1900+ branches, and around 2800+ ATMs spread across different geographical locations of the country. It also has representative offices in London, Dubai, and Abu Dhabi.

The bank has a market cap of Rs. 70,500+ Cr with the promoter group holding 16.53% shares while the rest 83.47% are held by FIIs, public, and others collectively. The stock has an average trading range from 3.5% to 5% and an average daily turnover of more than 430+ crores. Stock has an average daily trading volume of 50+ lac shares.

Jindal Steel & Power

Jindal Steel and Power Limited (JSPL) is an Indian steel and energy company based in Hisar. With a turnover of approx. US$ 5.5 billion, JSPL is a part of about US$18 billion diversified Jindal Group conglomerate. JSPL is a leading player in steel, power, mining, oil and gas and infrastructure in India. The company produces steel and power through backward integration from its own captive coal and iron-ore mines. In terms of tonnage, it is the third-largest steel producer in India.

The company manufactures and sells sponge iron, mild steel slabs, ferro chrome, iron ore, mild steel, structural, hot rolled plates and coils, and coal-based sponge iron. The company has a market capitalization of Rs. 49,500+ crore in which the promoter group holds 60.44% shares, and 39.56% shares are held by mutual funds, FII and others. The stock has an average daily trading range from 4% to 6% and an average daily turnover of more than 330+ crores. Stock has an average daily trading volume of 69+ lac shares

RBL Bank

RBL Bank is an Indian private sector bank headquartered in Mumbai and founded in 1943. It offers services across six verticals: corporate and institutional banking, commercial banking, branch, and business banking, retail assets, development banking and financial inclusion, treasury, and financial market operations.

RBL bank has a market cap of Rs. 7900+ Crs all of which are held by mutual funds, FIIs, insurance companies, institutions, and the public. The stock has an average trading range from 3.00% to 5.00% and an average daily turnover of approx 240+ crores. Stock has an average daily trading volume of 1.86 crore shares.

Tata Motors

Tata Motors Limited is an Indian multinational automotive manufacturing company headquartered in Mumbai, Maharashtra. As India’s largest automobile company and part of the USD 113 billion Tata group, Tata Motors has operations in the UK, South Korea, Thailand, South Africa, and Indonesia through a strong global network of 76 subsidiary and associate companies, including Jaguar Land Rover in the UK and Tata Daewoo in South Korea.

Its products include passenger cars, trucks, vans, coaches, buses, sports cars, construction equipment, and military vehicles. Tata Motors has a market capitalization of Rs 150,000 +crores. The promoter group holds 46.40 % in the company while 53.60% is held by FII, insurance companies, and the public. The stock has an average daily trading range of 3.40% to 5.20% and an average daily turnover of more than 1250+ crores. Stock has an average daily trading volume of 2.70+ crore.

Zee Entertainment Enterprises

Zee Entertainment Enterprises Limited is the media and entertainment broadcasting company of the Essel Group. It owns a constellation of entertainment channels under the brand name of Zee. The Zee Entertainment Enterprise also owns and operates the record label of Zee Music Company and the film studio of Zee Studios.

Zee Entertainment has a market cap of Rs. 24,500+ Crs in which the promoter group holds 3.99% shares while the remaining 96.01% stake is held by FIIs, mutual funds, institutions, and the public. The stock has an average trading range from 4% to 5.30% and an average turnover of more than 300+ crores. Stock has an average daily trading volume of 1.60+ crore shares.

Here’s a quick video from our team on how you can select the Best Intraday Stocks:

Model Portfolio:

If one wants to bring down the watchlist to 10 stocks then the below stocks will be ideal candidates for intraday trading along with Nifty and BankNifty indices

Sr. No Company Name BSE Scrip Code NSE Symbol CMP – Sept 2022
1 AXIS BANK 532215 AXISBANK 796
2 BAJAJ FINANCE 500034 BAJFINANCE 7,473.00
3 BANDHAN BANK 541153 BANDHANBNK 290.55
4 BHARTI AIRTEL 532454 BHARTIARTL 784.9
5 INDIABULLS HOUSING FINANCE 535789 IBULHSGFIN 126.8
6 INDUSIND BANK 532187 INDUSINDBK 1,231.85
7 JINDAL STEEL & POWER 532286 JINDALSTEL 436.05
8 RBL BANK 540065 RBLBANK 125.5
9 TATA MOTORS 500570 TATAMOTORS 427.55
10 ZEE ENTERTAINMENT 505537 ZEEL 267.3

A detailed table with various parameters for Best Intraday Stocks to buy:

Sr. No Company Name CMP – Sept 2022 BSE Scrip Code NSE Symbol Rating
1 TATA MOTORS 427.55 500570 TATAMOTORS 0.5
2 BAJAJ FINANCE 7,473.00 500034 BAJFINANCE 5
3 JINDAL STEEL & POWER 436.05 532286 JINDALSTEL 0.5
4 INDUSIND BANK 1,231.85 532187 INDUSINDBK 4
5 Vodafone Idea 9.2 532822 IDEA 0.5
6 AXIS BANK 796 532215 AXISBANK 3
7 STATE BANK OF INDIA 568.35 500112 SBIN 0.5
8 INDIABULLS HOUSING FINANCE 126.8 535789 IBULHSGFIN 4
9 ZEE ENTERTAINMENT 267.3 505537 ZEEL 0.5
10 TATA STEEL 106 500470 TATASTEEL 0.5
11 ICICI BANK 898 532174 ICICIBANK 4
12 BHARTI AIRTEL 784.9 532454 BHARTIARTL 0.5
13 BANDHAN BANK 290.55 541153 BANDHANBNK 4.5
14 RBL BANK 125.5 540065 RBLBANK 2
15 SHRIRAM TRANSPORT FINANCE CO 1,287 511218 SRTRANSFIN 5

Related articles

Our Collection of Best Stocks to Buy

You can check the live prices and trade India’s best large cap stocks at the lowest brokerage with SAMCO, India’s leading discount brokerage. Open a Free Demat and Trading Account today!

Share this article

14 Comments

  1. Omdutt tyagi

    Rashmiji you have given nice information regarding all articles mentioned above
    I am 100%endorsing you views

  2. Elangovan K

    Nice article and useful for traders like me . Thank you 🙏

  3. Avtarsingh Sangtani

    I have started thinking doing intraday trading today and this is the first article I am reading. Learning

  4. Kaveri Rane

    Very good information, i was realy waiting for such kind of intraday guidelines, thank-you so much

    1. Team Samco

      Hello, we’re glad that you liked it. Thank you very much for the feedback!

  5. K. Prabhakaran

    Very good articles. Useful to traders like me. Continue the good work.

    1. Team Samco

      Thank you very much for the feedback! We’re glad that you liked it.

    1. Team Samco

      Hello, we’re glad that you liked it. Thank you very much!

  6. Rajveer Singh Rathore

    Hey Rajveer here
    Very happy and glad that you are providing this much knowledge in free many less people are now providing this type of financial earning tricks for free. You are one of them your guidance of buying an intraday share is very helpful for beginner investors because they don’t have as much knowledge about the stock market.

Leave A Comment?