In this article
What is a cyber attack?
In the ever-growing digital world, there has been an increased threat of cyber attacks. Cyber attack is an attempt to steal or gain unauthorized access to your data for making fraudulent transactions. It generally targets computer network systems, data information centres, personal computer devices and mobile phones.
An attacker can attempt to gain access to personal data or device or other restricted information with an intent of cheating the owner. They do this by sharing a malicious link which infects the system with viruses, spywares or malwares. Hence cybersecurity is important these days as it is the process of protecting and recovering computer systems, networks, devices, and programs from any type of cyber attacks. Cyber attacks are an increasingly evolving danger to your sensitive data, as attackers employ new methods to overcome traditional security controls.
One of the most recent cyber attacks was the Wannacry Ransomware attack which targeted computers running the Microsoft Windows operating system by encrypting data and demanding ransom payments in Bitcoins.
Cyber attacks majorly happen when you:
- Download programs or softwares from unknown sources
- Download attachments from unknown emails
- Click on malicious links from unknown emails
- Click on random links on unsecure websites or sources such as Whatsapp, Telegram or SMSes.
What is the purpose of a cyber attack?
Cyber attacks occur when information is accessed without authorization. Oftentimes Cybercriminals try to gain illegal access to electronic data stored on a computer or a network which may result in theft of valuable, sensitive data like medical records, bank statements, personal documents, financial account numbers etc. The viruses can disrupt phone and computer networks or paralyze systems, making data inaccessible for the owner.
How is cyber attack done by fraudsters?
There are multiple ways in which cybercriminals can access your data by malware, phishing, password attacks, malvertising, etc.
Malware is a software which damages your computer system and steals sensitive information.
Phishing is a method of stealing your personal information by using deceptive emails, website, or calls.
Password attacks are when a third party is trying to gain access to your system by hacking your password.
Malvertising is the practice of using web advertisements to spread malware. If you click on a particular advertisement which has malware, it redirects you to a spam website.
How to safeguard yourself from cyber attacks?
- Do not download programs from unknown sources. Also, do not open mysterious emails as they might contain viruses.
- Do not download any attachments sent to you from email addresses that claim to be from Samco but are not sent from the official ‘Samco.in’ domain. Please note Samco will never send attachments except contract notes and margin statements or research reports.
- Keep anti-virus software up-to-date. Anti-virus software needs frequent updates to guard against new viruses.
- Scan your computer for spyware, malware & viruses regularly.
Please note that Samco will never send you any such unauthorized links which exposes your data or makes your system vulnerable to a virus or a malware attack. In case you come across any such instance please report immediately.